Copyright 2016

Mapledurham Playing Fields Action  Group

Contact us

 

Follow us

MAPLEDURHAM PLAYING FIELDS ACTION GROUP

Facebook square blue large

The Playing Fields & Trust

A Potted History

1938

Charles Hewett gave land, in Trust to the National Playing Fields Association as trustees with Mapledurham Parish Council as managers.

1940’s 

A wartime hut was built, which became War Memorial Hall

29th October 1962

Trust registered with the Charity Commission as the Recreation Ground Charity (registration number 304328).

1975

A new community hall was built adding of changing rooms and a tennis club room – the current Mapledurham Pavilion

1977

Under a Local Government Reorganisation, part of Mapledurham Parish that included the Playing Fields, was transferred to Reading Borough Council.

1st April 1979

Transfer of trustee responsibilities took place from National Playing Fields Association, now known as Fields in Trust (FIT), to Reading Borough Council

20th September 1985

A Charity Commission Trust Deed names Reading Borough Council as Trustee

9th September 2004

The scheme set out in the Trust Deed is amended with regard to the tennis club

 

At no point in its history have Mapledurham Playing Fields been owned by Reading Borough Council, and this is a common misconception,

even for local councillors!